Whether you aim to improve your skiing skills, finish the 13 km Tour or improve your personal best time in the 55 km with pack, the Birkie Learn to Loppet ski lessons will help you achieve your personal goals. Click here for Learn to Loppet 2018 Details.
- Free admission for Learn to Loppet (LTL) participants to wax clinics (beginner and intermediate) held in January by MEC
- Discounts for LTL participants off Birkie event registration
- $15 off 55 km events
- $10 off 31 km event
- $5 off 13 km event
We will be back better and stronger next year (with snow too!). Should conditions change, please stay tuned for other potential opportunities.
Dates and Times: Class has been cancelled in 2018 due to poor conditions.
- Saturday, January 6 9:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m.: Intro, basic wax clinic, test skis
- Mondays (4), January 8 thru 29 – 7 – 9 p.m: Ski lessons at Gold Bar Park (dress for the weather)
- Saturday (TBD) 10 – noon: Pre-Birkie ski lesson/race-prep session on the trails at Cooking Lake-Blackfoot Provincial Recreation Area to allow you to experience on the terrain where the Birkie takes place
- Monday, February 12 – 7-9: Wrap-up celebration for Birkie Training Groups (food & drink provided)
Cost: NO REFUNDS (lessons are not cancelled for inclement weather)
- $150 before December 22, 2017
- $165 until registration closing
Saturday waxing instruction at Goldstick Park Pavilion, Park Entrance is at 4210-101 Ave.
Monday evening lessons at Gold Bar pavilion, 10955 50 St.
Pre-Birkie ski prep at Blackfoot, Waskahegan Staging Area
Lead Instructor and Coordinator:
Jared Reichert is a CANSI Level II instructor, has taught Learn to Loppet and other Birkie Training Group sessions and has skied the Birkie many times. He and his fellow CANSI certified instructors are excited for another year with the Learn to Loppet program. They look forward to continue working with returning students and to welcoming and introducing new students to the joys of skiing loppets!
CANSI = Canadian Association of Nordic Ski Instructors